Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Monday, November 23, 2009

"Would you like to make a donation for...

...Epilepsy research?" said the grocery checker. Unfortunately, I have never heard these words while checking out at the grocery store. But, I am hopeful that one day, I will. One day, our voices will be heard. Why not? With a disease that affects so many lives, a disease that kills and one which is in need of improved treatment options, more funds for research is pertinent.

I don't ever want it to seem as if I feel that Epilepsy is the only worthy cause out there. It isn't. It just so happens to be the one that I am passionate about for reasons that do not need explaining.  And I do donate to one other cause, MDA. The little girl that you see on the Jerry's Kids poster during the month of March just happens to be the daughter of a close friend of mine.

Epilepsy is big, just a big as breast cancer and in fact, it affects more people than multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and Parkinson’s disease combined. Almost 500 new cases of epilepsy are diagnosed every day in the United States. Epilepsy affects 50,000,000 people worldwide.

Now, off to write my letter to Oprah.

1 comment: